Jalapeno Mac and Cheese from Taqueria Del Sol can be creamy and mild or fiery hot depending on your taste and how many jalapenos you add. My daughters and I took a cooking class from Eddie the chef/owner of Taqueria and just like at the restaurant, everything he made for us was delicious.
The Mac and Cheese was served topped with Black Peppercorn Tilapia and Marinated Artichokes. I love going to Taqueria but if you can’t make it there, this is the next best thing.
Tomorrow, I’ll post the recipes for the Tilapia and Artichokes.
Jalapeno Mac and Cheese Taqueria Del Sol
1. Bring water to a boil with a little olive oil and salt. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain.
2. Saute onion and jalapeno with garlic and 1 tablespoon butter until softened in large saucepan. Jalapenos will be a pale green color, lower heat so garlic doesn’t burn.
3. In small saucepan, make a roux with 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
4. Add heavy cream ro half and half, or mixture, to jalapenos and onions and bring almost to boiling. (if the mixture boils, the sauce will break) Add the roux and stir until mixed.
5. Take off the heat and stir in feta and 1 1/2 cups of white American cheese.
6. Pour sauce over the macaroni and let sit covered until thickened slightly. (sauce looks like a lot but it soaks it up)