What’s 4 Dinner Tonite is a great White Pizza with Caramelized Onions. It’s sure to please meat lovers as well as veggies, like my daughters.
My favorite homemade dough to use is from California Pizza Kitchen. The recipe is all over the web. The white part also came from an internet site and it’s delicious but what really puts it over the top are the caramelized onions. Yumm!
It reheats great and makes the most delicious left overs the next day.
White Pizza with Caramelized Onions
CPK pizza dough **must make 1 day ahead
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese, or to taste
fresh mozzarella cheese (could try w/emmenthaler cheese, too), shredded
caramelized onions (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion (I didn’t use this), diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Caramelize the sliced onions in a mixture of olive oil and butter for 30-45 minutes or even an hour. Be careful towards the end not to let them burn. These are delicious and make the pizza great!
2. White sauce: In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 or 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute longer. Add the cream, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the cream thickens ands reduces slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool completely before using.
3. Roll out pizza dough so that it is thin. Spread on sauce. Top with onions, then dollops of ricotta, and then mozzarella cheese.
4. Cook at 500 degrees for 8-10 minutes. It is delicious!
5. **White sauce makes enough for recipe of CPK dough.
6. This is great with white sauce, Emmenthaler and caramelized onions.